To apply for a Canadian passport for your child, you have to fill out an application form, collect the necessary documents and submit them all by mail or in person with the required processing fees.
In the case where the minor is below Sixteen (16) years of age, the parents or one of the child’s parents who has custody of the child or the child’s legal guardian could help to sign the application form.
Basically, there are two ways you can apply for a Child’s passport. You either apply for it from inside Canada or from outside Canada. We are going to address both cases in this article.
Applying for a Canadian Passport for your Child
As earlier stated, children over the age of Sixteen (16) could apply for their own passport and perform the necessary filling of documents and signatures. Parent or guardian can apply for their child who are below age sixteen (16).
To get the application form, simply download the application [PDF] online or obtain the form it from the Passport Canada office. You can also obtain application forms from a post office or participating Service Canada Centre. If you are staying or applying from outside of Canada, you can also obtain the application form at the nearest Government of Canada office or embassy in your home country.
You will be required to submit the following document:
- Both pages of the application form completed, and duly signed within the last one year or 12 months, and certified by your guarantor;
- Two (2) recent identical passport photos of the child, one certified by the guarantor;
- Proof of Canadian citizenship;
- Proof of parentage;
- Any other supporting document like a valid Canadian passport or travel document previously issued to the child;Proof of legal guardianship, where applicable; and
- All other supporting documents that refer to custody or mobility of, or access to, the child.
- Only original and valid documents are accepted and they will be returned to you.
- Other important documents or information may be requested.
- All documents or information submitted in a language other than French or English must be accompanied by a translation from a certified translator.
Submit the Application
You can submit the completed application form, supporting documents and required processing fees by mail or In person at a Passport Canada office, or post office or at a participating Service Canada Centre.
If you reside in another country, you can submit your application to the closest Government of Canada office abroad. If you have other specific questions or inquiries about your situation, reach out to Passport Canada at 1-800-567-686