Can I Become A Canadian Citizen If My Child Was Born In Canada?


How to become a Canadian Citizen If your Child Was Born In Canada? Canada is one of the few countries that automatically gives your child citizenship if it was born here, even if as a parent, you are not a Canadian citizen.

But just because your child was born in Canada does not mean that you are granted citizenship or allowed to stay in the country and become a Canadian citizen.

There are a couple of options open to you as a parent. Which one you choose will determine the type of visa you are on while in Canada and where you ultimately want to live

Permanent Residency

If you want to live in Canada when your visa expires, you can apply for Canada’s PR program. A permanent resident is an immigrant who resides in Canada permanently but is still a citizen of another country.

There are Five 5 different pathways to getting a Permanent Resident card (i.e the card was given to those granted Permanent Residency). All these options are open to you to apply from.

  • Express Entry
  • Family Class
  • Business Immigration
  • Canadian Experience Class
  • Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

Parent and Grandparent Super Visa

If you desire to move back to your home country while raising your child, this option allows your child to sponsor you in 18 years. When your child attains adulthood, they can apply for a Super Visa.

The super visa permits them to bring you and your parents to Canada. But, the Canadian government is currently restricting this particular type of visa. Therefore, it may not be an option in the coming years.

Temporary Visa

Another option open to you is the temporary visa. These visas include study visas and work visas. The advantage of filling for this type of visa is that you will have time to decide whether you wish to apply for permanent residency.

In conclusion, If you desire to become a Canadian citizen, there are several legal ways to obtain residency if your child was born here. You can apply for PR or get your child to sponsor you, once your child meets the requirements.


Comments are closed.